Thursday, January 29, 2009

Free Verse

I will have a fairly meaningful post coming soon ( A post in which I actually say something original ), but tonight I will be lazy and borrow from some stuff I wrote in high school and college. To follow up on my little rhyming poem yesterday, I'd thought I'd give you a little sample of some of my old free verse stuff.

I wrote the one below in high school. It was one of my first poems ever ( not counting stuff for school assignments ).

The Sigh

The cloud
is emitted
and I
imbibe it.
My heart
saturated
with dew drops
of your soul.
The mist
seeps forth
and I
understand.

I wrote the two below in college, during the "College Girl #1" phase of my life.

Black Coffee

The coffee cup
which lies
alone
(Lost
in the shadows
falling
over the table.
One
small
drop
stains
the surface
where
unseen cracks
break
through
as it slips
into a puddle
of cold
black
coffee.)
is empty.

Summer 1990

Sometimes,
I sit on the steps by the street.
They're nice steps.
I feel like they know me.
My bed knows me too,
as well as the kitchen table,
the LL train,
and those fluorescent lights in the hall.
(They know me all too well)
I feel like a drifter sometimes,
though truth be told,
I don't stray very far.
Wandering can be good for me ( I think ).
I think about lots of things -
things that only steps and fluorescent lights should know.
Serenity.
I guess you could call it that
(But would I?)
I fell stronger,
more at at peace than I've been in a while.
Yet sometimes it feels like I'll be writing
your name
forever.
By the steps,
On the table,
Under the fluorescent lights.
In pencil,
In pen,
On a foggy car window.
It's a nice name
I feel like it knows me.
But I'm a warrior now,
My strength won't fade,
And only the fluorescent lights know
that those five letters can still feel so good.

2 comments:

munchkinhugs said...

Just of out curiousity, have you ever written your wife poems?

Anonymous said...

you are quite talented there Rich *thumbs up*=>
Rochelle