Wednesday, August 5, 2009

So Heartwarming

I usually don't cover real world news in the blog, but I saw something today that I just had to share.

I'm sure most of you have heard the Laura Ling / Euna Lee story by now. If you haven't heard the story ( perhaps this wasn't covered much outside of the USA? ), you can Google their names for details, but the gist of the story is this: Laura and Euna are American journalist who have basically been held hostage by North Korea for the last 5 months. They were released yesterday thanks to the intervention of Bill Clinton.

When the story first broke 5 months ago, the media did a few interviews Laura and Euna's families. I was particularly touched to learn about Euna's pre-school aged daughter. As a parent of two young children, I kept thinking about how horrible it would be to be separated from my boys. I got misty-eyed when I heard Euna's husband say that their daughter kept asking when Mommy was going to come home.

So, when I heard they were being released, all I could think about is how wonderful if would be when Euna was reunited with her daughter again. Sometime this morning, Laura and Euna arrived back in the USA. I read the story at work, and got kinda choked-up when I saw the photo below.


Take a look at Euna's face in this photo. Really - click on the photo to enlarge it and take a look at her face. This is one of the most heartwarming images I have ever seen. I think I would've made the exact same kind of face if I had been reunited with my kids after 5 months. I feel so happy for Euna, and so happy that her little daughter gets to be with Mommy again.

I'm getting a warm feeling in my heart just from writing this blog post. I'll leave you with a couple of other photos I also found heartwarming ...


1 comment:

Paxomaniac said...

It was odd watching this with my father and his attitude of how they must be criminals and he seemed to have no emotional response to this-- whereas I was instantly struck.

I was feeling teary eyed too, not from any understanding of it, but watching a family be reunited was what really touched me. It's the pure honest emotion on her face and the almost clueless look of her daughter makes me chuckle at kids and how the world stares them in the face and they are so impressed by the smallest thing, such as mommy finally coming home.