Tuesday, July 30, 2013

We Are All Anthony Weiner


I am Anthony Weiner.  You are Anthony Weiner.  We are all Anthony Weiner.

Sure, most of us aren't sticking our smartphones down our pants on a daily basis, but we all have a propensity for going online to show off the things that make us proud.

I'm mostly talking about the parents out there ( We all flood facebook with the latest cute pictures of our kids and stories/videos of their latest accomplishments - I'm as guilty as anyone of this, and I certainly don't intend to stop. ), but people without kids can be just as bad ( "Look at my cute pet!", "Let me tell you about the cool thing I just did!", "Look at the new thing I just got!", "Let me show you photos of the great vacation I just took!". ).  We maybe "bad" is the wrong word.  I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong.  It's just that we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking that "sharing" in the social media sense is some kind of benevolent act akin to "sharing" in the traditional sense.  We might like to think ourselves as humble, but social media has really lowered the bar when it comes to what is considered "humble" behavior.  Social media has created a world in which we can humblebrag.

Now, I know some of you parents out there might be saying "How can you equate the the photos I send of my precious child to the photos Anthony Weiner sends of his penis?".  Well, I wouldn't necessarily equate those two things, but they are both examples of people showing off things they are proud of.

Because let's face it, if there's one thing we know, it's that Anthony Weiner is proud of his penis.  And hey, if you've taken the time to look at the penis photos he's sent, you can kinda understand why.  That thing is huge.  It's so big I bet there are stablehands all over New York who talk about how their horses are "hung like a Weiner".  Hell, if I was hung like that, I'd probably walk around all day with my pants off.

OK, well maybe not.  It's certainly not good for any guy to link his feeling of self-worth to his penis size, but Anthony Weiner is clearly one of those guys.  Perhaps it was because he was teased about his last name as a kids, perhaps it's because he was picked on for being relatively small in stature, but somewhere along the line, I think his penis became his pride and joy, and now he thinks he's too sexy for his pants.

I didn't mean for this post to be a defense of Anthony Weiner ( He's an egomaniac with extremely poor judgement who shouldn't be put in charge of a lemonade stand, let alone a city of 8 million people. ), but I just wanted to point out that we are not as different from Anthony Weiner as we'd like to believe.  Different enough that we ( hopefully ) don't have pictures of our private parts floating around the internet, but not so different that we don't something post things online that others don't care to see.

Rich

No comments: