Saturday, July 27, 2013

Harvey Day

Every 5 days, Mets fans celebrate "Harvey Day".  It's the day when the Mets go from a moribund 4th place squad to a baseball team that everyone loves to watch.  It's the day the Mets young ace Matt Harvey takes his turn in the rotation.

On Sunday, July 21st, we finally got out to a Mets game on "Harvey Day".  It was actually the first Mets game we've been to in 3 years.  It was great to finally get the taste of this out of my mouth.

By a stoke a luck, the Mets had won every game I'd every taken the boys to in previous years.  The Mets won the first game I ever took Michael to, and then the next 4 I took Michael and Peter too.  I wanted to keep their streak alive, so I wasn't going to leave anything to chance.  If we were going to watch the Mets play in person this year, it was going to be on "Harvey Day".

Harvey and the Mets didn't disappoint.  Harvey hit 99 mph on the gun routinely, struck out 10, walked none, and gave up no runs and 3 hits in 7 innings of work.  The Mets actually gave Harvey some run support for a change ( unlike yesterday ( 7/26/13 ) when Harvey gave up zero earned runs over 8 innings, but took a no-decision ( in a game the Mets ultimately lost ) because the Mets scored only 1 run and made an error which ruined Harvey's shutout attempt ( Stupid Mets!  Last night's loss might just make me grumpy all weekend.)  ), hitting 3 home runs in a 5-0 win.  So all went well in Flushing that day, and a fun time was had by all.  What follows is a photo essay documenting our day at the ballpark.

The boys hanging out before the game.


 In the Jackie Robinson Concourse.  The quote behind them reads "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."


With my Aunt Barbara ( my Mom's sister ) before the game.  My Aunt Barbara ( along with my Great Aunt Ginny ) took me to a bunch of Mets games at Shea Stadium during my childhood.


 On the Shea Bridge.


 The boys watching batting practice.


Family shot with Mr. and Mrs. Met!  I couldn't find a shot where we were all facing the same camera ( there were a lot of cameras ).


Before the game started we had lunch at Shake Shack ( Tied for the best ballpark food I've ever had with the Primanti Brothers sandwiches I had at PNC Park. ) and ...


... the boys had some fun at "Kiddie Field".  See the highlights below ...





In our seats before the game.


The view from our seats right before the start of the game.


Ruth wasn't too interested in watching the game, so she spent most of the time walking around the stadium and getting treats with the boys after they became bored ( Michael lasted 4 innings, which was enough to see the Mets score all 5 of their runs.  Harvey also gave up his first hit in the 4th inning.  Considering Harvey's already taken 3 no-hitters into the 7th inning this year, I wasn't going to let Michael leave his seat until Harvey gave up a hit. ).  While she was walking around the stadium, she did manage to do some pretty kick-ass sports photography of Matt Harvey dealing.











Of course, a bunch of Mets sports photos wouldn't be complete without at least one shot of 7-time All-Star David Wright.



While my Aunt and I watched the Mets finish off the Phillies, it was ice cream time for the boys.

 It's not every day you see a jelly bean Mr. Met.


 Ruth took this shot in the Mets Hall of Fame.  I'll have to drop by to see this plaque the next time I'm at Citi Field, because this plaque has some sentimental value to me.  Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, my brother and I would go to about 20 Mets games a year at Shea Stadium.  We would each head to the park straight from work and would meet at this plaque before the game.  When they tore Shea down after the 2008 season, I wondered if I'd ever see this plaque again.


 Thanks for coming!


Oh, one more bonus was that "Harvey Day", also happened to be "Dwight Gooden Bobble-head Day".  This seemed entirely appropriate, considering that Harvey is the best Mets pitcher since Gooden ( However, as great as Harvey is ( and he may be the best pitcher in baseball ), he wasn't half the pitcher Dwight Gooden was in 1985.  Dwight may have smoked a mountain of crack, but he's still my favorite ballplayer of all time. ).

Rich

2 comments:

Shake Shack said...

Thanks so much for making Shake Shack a part of your "Harvey Day". Burgers + baseball. Can't get much better than that, if you ask us.

Go Mets!

Brandy
Shake Shack

Shake Shack said...

Thanks so much for making Shake Shack a part of your "Harvey Day". Burgers + baseball. Can't get much better than that, if you ask us.

Go Mets!

Brandy
Shake Shack