Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Flag Man

Two weeks ago ( June 24, 2011 ), I was in Saratoga Springs, NY with my family for my cousin's wedding.  There were a few hours between the wedding at the church and the reception, so we headed back to our hotel room to relax for a bit.  While I was in the hotel room, I decided to use Google Street View to see what the reception location would look like as I drove up to it.  Peter was watching me do this, and he surprised me by asking "Why does the man have a flag".  I had no idea what he was talking about, but he asked again and pointed to the Google Street View man in the bottom right corner of the screen, and sure enough, he was holding a little flag ( Well, as best as he could "hold" something without arms ).  I took a closer look and noticed that he was holding a rainbow flag.  Actually, I was pretty sure it was a Gay Pride flag.  I guess it was all well and fine that the Google Street View man was showing gay pride, but why was he doing it that day of all days?

I did a little googling, and this link answered my question.

Apparently, the Google Street View man was celebrating the first day of legal gay marriage in New York State.  Pretty cool easter egg.  I guess I was lucky to be checking Google Street view in New York that day, because the street view guy only had the flag in locations in New York State.

Rich

1 comment:

EZ said...

I'm assuming that your cousin was, in fact, marrying an opposite-sex person. %-}

Z

P.S.: Yeah, I read all the other posts.