Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Michael the future scientist

A few few hours ago, I was looking for my 5 year-old son Michael, and found him watching the video below:



About 5 minutes later he came downstairs and started talking excitedly ( and accurately ) about isotopes.

Sorry to be bragging about my kid again, but I'm just blown away, even though I see this kind of stuff pretty much every day.

I should probably emphasize that he's pretty much 100% self-motivated when he it comes to this stuff. We encourage him and occasionally introduce new topics to him when he asks us questions ( He'd been asking a lot questions about how computers work lately, so now he understands that a computer is basically a set of on/off switches, and he knows how to convert binary numbers to hexadecimal numbers ), but he does most of his leaning via independent study on YouTube. ). I've told him what scientists are are, so now he tells us he wants to grow up to be a scientist. He says he wants to build a rocket ship someday called the "Michael 5".

Hopefully, I'll get to ride on it someday. :)

Rich

1 comment:

Paxomaniac said...

I feel like Michael would be the kind of kid who would eat up something like Billy Nye then or maybe even Carl Sagan's Cosmos, they seem like they'd be right up his alley with the whole "wanting to be a scientist" angle.

I've recently found all these on YouTube and have realized I was much more motivated at 5 than I am at 20.