Monday, April 20, 2009

I'm Back / Daria / Smart Girls with Glasses

Yep, I B back. I could ramble about the last 30 days a bit, but instead I'd just like to get back to blogging about random topics.

First random topic? Daria. Daria Morgendorffer. Daria from MTV. Daria the cartoon character. SIGH! I had such a crush on Daria back in the day.


Of course, this may not sound too unusual. I'm sure lots of us have had little crushes on cartoon characters "back in the day". However, "Daria" premiered on MTV back in 1997.

I was 27 in 1997.
I was already married in 1997.

And yeah, I love my wife and would never dream of leaving her for a two-dimensional image made of ink and celluloid.

But still ...

Daria! S-I-G-H!!!!!



I've had a crush on Daria since the days she was just a bit character on "Beavis and Butt-Head". If I was a cartoon character, I would SO want to date her!


I think it has a lot do with her attitude, and that sly little smile she flashes sometimes ( see the picture above ). It also has to do with how intelligent she is. She's not really depicted as an academic star on the show, but she's got smarts where it counts. She's got just the right amount of cynicism. It's not good if you're entirely cynical, but if you're not at least a little bit cynical in this world, then you are really not paying attention.

Yeah, so Daria's got the smarts, the attitude, those sly/cute facial expressions, and of course THE GLASSES. I love those glasses. There's something about a smart girl with glasses that always gets me. I guess Janeane Garofalo would be a prime celebrity example of this ( I gushed about Janeane in this video ( see photo of Janeane below ) ).


However, I think the "Smart Girl with Glasses" phenomenon is best exemplified by the events of my real life. Those you who read this blog regularly know that I've only pursued 4 girls in a big way in my life. For the uninitiated, those girls are ...

High School Girl #1 ( HSG#1 ) - more info in this video.
High School Girl #2 ( HSG#2 ) - more info in this video.
College Girl #1 ( CG#1 )
My Wife ( Ruth ) - more info in this video.

Now let's look at the relevant stats:

HSG#1 - Wore glasses about half the time when I fell for her.
HSG#2 - Wore glasses all the time when I fell for her.
CG#1 - Wore glasses all the time when I fell for her.
Ruth - Wore glasses about half the time when I fell for her.

HSG#1 - Is now a doctor.
HSG#2 - Was salutatorian of what is arguably the best public high school in the USA ( * see note below ).
CG#1 - Was an engineering student at Cornell with very good grades.
Ruth - Is now a doctor.

( * I'm obviously a bit biased, but one could easily make a case that the high school (Stuyvesant HS ) HSG#2 and I went to is the best public High School in the USA. The student body is selected via a city-wide entrance exam, and only those who score highest are admitted. Considering that New York City is the largest city in the USA, Stuyvesant probably draws from the largest talent pool on a year-to-year basis. If you want more objective proof of how good an academic school Stuvesant is, see the article here. The article is from 1988 ( the year I graduated ). In 1988, Stuvesant had 47 semi-finalists in the national Westinghouse Science Talent Search ( now called the Intel Science Talent Search ). That was more than any other state ( with the exception of New York, where Stuvesant is located ), and it is still an all-time record. So, by at least one objective measure, you could say that Stuyvesant class of 1988 was not only the best high school in the USA that year, but it may have been the most academically talented public high school class in the history of the USA. OK, enough crowing about my school ( Though I am sure my fellow Stuy-alum EZ appreciated that ). You get the point. The Stuy class of 1988 was immensly talented, and HSG#2 wound up with the second-highest grade point average in the class. So yeah, she was really smart. )

So yeah, smarts and glasses are a good combination. I should also note that I don't think my attraction to glasses has much to do with some stereotypical belief that glasses=smart. I just tend to be attracted to girls'eyes, and I think glasses do a great job of framing a set of pretty eyes.

All in all, I think intelligence is a bigger turn-on than the glasses. Heck, if a girl is smart enough, I could find myself attracted to her, even if she isn't heterosexual. A good example of that is Rachel Maddow ( see video here ). Rachel is a Rhodes Scholar, politically liberal, and is pretty in a sneaky kind of way ( you've got to look real close to notice ). I watch her show almost every night at 9 PM. I think she's probably my 3rd favorite politcal commentator ( Chris Matthews is #2 and Keith Olbermann is #1). I watch Obermann almost every night at 8 PM. Olbermann ( a fellow Cornell grad ) started out as sportscaster on ESPN and is now a big-time liberal commentator. He's really smart, and he's also got GLASSES. See where I'm going here? I guess if I had been born gay, I probably would have a crush on Olbermann right now. Defintely got a man crush on him. In any case, do youself a favor watch some Olbermann YouTube clips. Prepare to be amazed!

Yeah! That felt good! I'm back baby!

Rich

3 comments:

RnB said...

Don't feel guilty about cartoon girl crushes. Sometimes they're so appealing because they're exactly the kind of girl you wanna be with.
Aladdin is my favorite movie of all time because I relate to the main character, it just doesn't hurt that Princess Jasmine is a 10 imo, hah hah...

ok, that's enough social incrimination for the day. Wait a second. I blogged about this. I should go study for more finals.

later

zyxwvut510 said...

If you hadn't told me that Daria changed expressions in that picture, I wouldn't have known. BZut I can see it if I look.

God help us if you get into the "naughty librarian" webpages. %-}

ZP.S.: I was just telling somebody a few days ago that we Stuy alums talk about HS more than anybody else who goes to college. ;-7 Crow away. Was CG#1 a Stuy alum, to make it a clean sweep?

Rochelle said...

well i say tis good to have you back so i can read more of those interesting blogs of yours! I have missed them and of corse you!=>

Damn i love Daria twas the best thing out! now these days we have crappy cartoons. I remember when the awesomenesst cartoons were playing when i was a youngen like of corse Daria, ren and stimpy, angry beavers, catdog, rocky and bull winkle thats if you know any of those shows and there were many more!

well thats all from me for now!
Good to hear from you=>
catch you later
Rochelle!