Thursday, October 21, 2010

Secret Hugs

My baby doesn't want to hug me anymore.

"My baby" is my youngest son Peter ( 5 years old ). I know it's generally mothers who think of their kids as babies, but I'm a lot more affectionate than a typical Dad, and I think part of me will always feel like my kids are my babies, no matter how old they get.

That's why it kinda hurts a little bit that Peter has decided that he doesn't want to hug and kiss me anymore. His older brother Michael still gives me a goodnight kiss without fail each night, but Peter tells me in no uncertain terms that he only want to hug and kiss Mommy.

Actually, he's made it really clear that he only wants to hug and kiss girls and never wants to hug and kiss boys. Those of you who have seen my YouTube videos know that I'm the last Dad in the world who would teach his kids strict gender rolls or display any attitude that would even hint at homophobia, so I really have no idea where he is getting this attitude from. However, things are what they are. It's really hard to change Peter's mind about anything. He's decided that he won't hug boys, and that mean no hugs for me.

Well, actually, it means no hugs for me as far as Peter can tell.

While Peter doesn't want to hug me, he still likes to do "boy" things like wrestle. So, I'll ask him to wrestle, and the next thing you know we'll have our arms wrapped around each other.

He thinks we're wrestling, ...

... but I know we're hugging. :)

Rich

1 comment:

munchkinhugs said...

"He thinks we're wrestling, ...

... but I know we're hugging. :)"


He'll come around :)